Friday, May 17, 2013

Lessons Learned



They said you would learn a lot with the coming of a baby. You would learn patience, love, discipline, true fatigue, and grace. I have learned a lot and I would like to share.

Be The First To Say You're Sorry: Trivial things become big in marriage when a little stress maker comes along. I was told this would be an issue but I promised Caleb we would handle it better than every other couple out there. Ha. Pride is a big one and when you cast it aside and approach the other with a humble and apologetic heart, your spouse's heart will melt too. Hopefully. Issue dissolved.

In Marriage, Do Not Take Everything So Personally: There is a lot on your mind when caring for a baby. How many more hours until I have to feed him again? Why is he crying? Why won't he sleep? What if I drop him? What should I eat for lunch that is super fast? The last thing you need to be worrying about is why didn't he text me back right away? Why is he so quiet? Why is he working so much? I wonder if he is disappointed I have a mom body now? Don't take it personally. Your man is going through just as much with this huge change in his life as you are. He is processing, grieving his bachelor life, grieving his wife's body that used to be only his, and is equally tired and stressed about how he is going to pay for the hospital bills, doctor bills, and diapers. Give him some room and do him a favor by not putting your emotional stability on his plate too. Advice noted. I'll try that next time.

Turn Off Your Cell Phone: When you pull your eyes away from Facebook, text messages, Pinterest, and email, you will notice a whole world out there to feast your eyes on. The peace and trust on your child's face as he nurses, the crazy neighbor riding his bike with an American flag attached to his seat, the leaves slowly yet quickly opening up the Spring sun. Plus, now I have two hands to hold my baby instead of an awkward one.

Your Baby Loves Your Voice: Whether you are a famous opera singer or tone deaf, your baby will coo and sing along to your beautiful voice. He has heard it for nine months in the womb and it is the safest noise he knows. I don't talk much, especially when no one is home, but talk about anything with your baby. My husband is a pro at this. He just tells him what he is doing and pretends Locklan asked why to give him more to talk about. I'm working on it.

A Smile Goes A Long Way: It is something else to get up in the middle of the night or wee hours of the morning cranky and tired only to find a smiling baby greeting you from his crib. Your irritation melts away and a smile bursts from your face. His smile is so innocent and full of joy. Smiles truly are contagious. My goal is to do more of it not just with my own baby but with strangers I pass on the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment