Monday, March 25, 2013

March Manic Challenge

Just a little something something my husband and I like to do. We challenge ourselves and each other to meet a certain goal we set for ourselves during one month. We used to make it into a bet--"I bet I could run 100 miles in the month of January!" That is totally a Caleb bet. I would never do such a thing. If he accomplished it, I would have to do something nice/extraordinary for him. We got rid of that part. Actually, we got rid of the whole thing...laziness.

Well, as I grew plump with baby Lock, my mind began to suffocate (not literally) with not being able to just pick up and go on a run, do crunches, lunges, push ups, etc. Ok, so maybe you can do most of those things when you're pregnant...but I was tired. They said (the infamous "theys" of the magazines) that if you exercise you get more energy. Yeah, tell that to the potato on the couch.

Anyway... I am not a crazy work-out-until-you-throw-up kinda person. Nor do I really even work out consistently. I'm the person who works-out-when-my-muscles-are-getting-squishy-and-summer-is-coming-so-I-have-to-look-sexy kinda person. Sometimes I like to feel the burn and tearing of my muscles as they grow ever so strong. Sometimes. I do like feeling in shape, which brings me to my point. As pregnancy neared its end, my determination to get back into shape was on my suffocated mind.

Then I had my baby. Look, there he is!



And it was back to the couch for healing and sleep.

But as the weeks passed and my weight began to drop off and I saw glimpses of what my stomach used to look like, my determination came back. So I proposed an idea to Caleb. "Wanna do March Manic Challenge with me??" Yes.

March Manic Challenge. 1000 push ups, 500 sit ups (wasn't sure if my abs would heal in time) and 15 miles to run. Caleb's challenge was similar but a whole bunch more than those numbers.



I started out strong, did a few the first couple days. I enjoyed the sun on my face with a couple runs (while Caleb watched Lock, what a guy!) and then yeah. Today is the 25th. Total completed: 70 push ups, 60 sit ups, and  8 miles. 830 push ups, 340 sit ups, and 7 miles to go. I can do this! (don't check my math please). What happened you ask? You know, baby wise happened. Sleep training both for him and me. Breastfeeding struggles. Ok, how hard is it to do a few push ups during Lock's naps? Not hard at all.... Doesn't holding Lock count as upper arm strength building?

No excuses really. Unless you count my good sister telling me my abs are indeed still split and I shouldn't be doing any sit ups. What? I have a challenge to meet! Nuts. Where did my determination go? Spring is in the air!

So we will try again.

All Out April Challenge! The month where anything April says goes. :) No. More like Caleb saying, "Go all out April! Drop and give me 20!" Also it means, "Sorry dear, you want mac and cheese? All out, sincerely April." A diet!  It should be fun.We haven't set the challenge goals yet but I will update you soon...maybe.

Good luck April! Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment