Saturday, April 13, 2013

In This Moment

The life of a mom can be hard to balance getting things done and slowing down and just enjoying the surprise smiles and leg kicks. I have yet to capture a picture of his smile so you will have to suffice with his feet. 


Some days can consist of just getting from one nap to the next so I can have my arms free to do the dishes, laundry, tidy, or to just sit and read a book with a cup of tea. His waking cry then becomes something to dread instead of an opportunity to learn the new quirks of Lock.

Watching Lock interact throughout his day, I have learned something. I think Lock has got it right. Whether he understands the philosophy behind his actions or not (he doesn't) every minute of his day is life. Every minute he is learning new things: how to wiggle his fingers, grasp colorful toys, or even just focus his eyes on his mother's face. Most importantly, he is learning (or rather I am learning) more about himself. He loves to be cuddled to sleep, but only if you're not trying to multitask. I can wrap him up tight in his softest blankie, pop in his pacifier and cradle him against my warm body. But if I pull out my phone to try texting a friend, updating my status, or stalking others on Facebook, he squirms and whines and spits out his pacifier kicking his legs with discomfort. I put my phone down and cradle him with both arms, holding him tight. zzzzzz. I gingerly pull my phone out again and his eyes pop open. Gah! What?! Can't a girl have a life?

Sighing, I put my phone away and rock him again and look out the window. The sun is just peaking over the tops of the houses, its rays causing the snow to ignite into sparkles. The bare tree branches are painted white with the sticky snow and small puffs of smoke come up from the rooftops of neighboring houses. Am I in a fairy tale? Yes, Lock. You're right. Enjoy this moment.

Life is not about the next minute, the next event, the next set of drama. It is where you are right now sitting next to your hubby. The silence doesn't need to be filled, the idle time doesn't need to be made productive. THIS is my life. These moments that I let pass by with no second thought. My baby is growing so big already (rather too big for my little arms to be comfortable) and I wonder what minutes I might have missed because I want to know what everyone else is doing. In this day and age, we need to keep moving moving moving or we will get left behind in the latest fashions, technologies, or gossip.

But what about our families? Are we passing them up by moving too fast? Grab a cup of tea or a glass of wine and sit down with your spouse/friend/child and enjoy the moment. This moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment