Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Nana's House

I took a mini vacation to my mama's house. Walking into her house, I immediately feel cozy and a part of something special. She always has little touches of the season throughout her house. Bright leaves in the corners and on the piano for fall, boughs of pines on the banister for winter, and of course my favorite tulips from papa on the coffee table for spring.

It was just me and Lock this time. I left Caleb at home giving him the chance to catch up on sleep and stay up late with his pals. It was also a chance for my mama to get to know Lock a little bit better and spend hours catching up over tea with me!



My mama is now called Nana. She loves her new role of  being a grandma. She shared with me the other day how after being a grandma, she realizes what she missed out on as a mother. New to the role and usually young, a mother can get caught up in the shoulds and stresses of doing what she needs to for the baby to keep him alive. Life is just one poopy diaper to the next with maybe a sip of coffee in between. Life goes by in a blur as your baby grows from scrawny helpless baby to gurgling drooling love bug, to running-away-from-a-spanking toddler. Then they graduate. Though we try to enjoy each moment with out little ones, we often look forward to the first smile, first time they sit up, first walk, or first day of school. Not only are we new mothers, we are still wrapped up in a busy social life, school, or a career. It is hard to balance sometimes.

What my mother learned in her first years as a grandmother is that life isn't about what is happening in the world around us. Life is our little ones. It's simple, but profound. As a grandmother, she gets to live each moment fully devoted to her grandson when he is around. Because of that focus solely on her grandson, she has been able to witness things a busy mother trying to balance laundry or another child might miss.

So, as a mother, how can I translate the life of a grandmother into my own life? My life is Locklan David.



No comments:

Post a Comment